Sunday, January 01, 2012

Goals for 2012

I really enjoy setting goals, especially since becoming a mom. I think because the task of parenting is so incredibly daunting to me most days, and the goal of parenting often seems intangible, difficult to measure and impossible to obtain, I nearly crave goals that are otherwise.

So, at the start of each year, I take stock. As I consider the present circumstances, I anticipate the future possibilities as best I can given all things remain the same (which, of course, we all know they do not!) :)

This year, my hubby made what I felt was a rather brilliant suggestion in regard to my 2012 goals. It was prompted by a TED talk he listened to and applied a couple months ago. You can watch/listen to it here: http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/en/matt_cutts_try_something_new_for_30_days.html

To me, 30 days seems more doable than 365. Call it cynicism or age, but I don't reach for the stars quite as quickly and often as I used to. I hesitate. I count the cost. And, I usually say, "Nah; I'll take the path most traveled, thank you very much." :) Nevertheless, I'm hoping that some of the things I attempt in the following 30 day challenges may just "stick" and last beyond 30 days, maybe even 365 days. We'll see!

Mostly for my own sake, I am going to list my goals, what I am calling my "30 day challenges, here. At the start of each month, my plan is to write a separate post detailing that month's challenge(s), the why behind it, and the plan for executing it successfully. My hope is that publishing my goals on the world wide web will be some incentive to actually sticking with the challenges.

January:
  • Make 50% of what I eat- raw food
  • No extra spending
February:
  • Encourage hubby/No criticism
  • Read for leisure 15 minutes daily
March:
  • No soda
  • Memorize one Bible verse a day
April:
  • Write for blog 15 minutes daily
May:
  • Wake up by 5:45 am and stay awake! Go to bedroom by 9:30 pm and asleep by 10:30 pm
  • Pray for leaders daily
June:
  • Work outside 15 minutes daily
July:
  • 15 minutes daily improving a space in my home in someway (execution, not brainstorming)
  • 30 days of work on "glutes."
August:
  • 10 minutes with mommy one on one for fun, daily
September:
  • Write encouragement daily to 30 different people
October:
  • Repeat a 30 day challenge
November:
  • Write down a thankful list daily
December:
  • Give something away daily
I'll post more about January's goals tomorrow. ;)

5 comments:

Jessi said...

Love this idea Bri! Thanks for sharing it!

Kristin R. said...

Looks really "doable"! You go girl!
:) My two goals for the year are to memorize one new verse per month (to really commit it to my memory) and to pray each week for a different country in the 10/40 window.
Happy new year to you & your family!

Laurie said...

I love it! And I love your various goals. Can't wait to hear how it goes, girlie.

krista said...

totally stealing this idea!

and i am so with you on the attainable part--30 days usually does solidify a "habit".

Danielle said...

Sadly, most of my goals this year are "all year long" goals. However, I've done this kind of thing and it definitely makes it much easier to focus on just 1 or 2 things vs. a whole list! You go!