Thursday, January 02, 2014

Lemon Chicken Soup



















My mom served this soup to us over Christmas vacation which proved to be timely as all of my kiddos and my husband have come down with some kind of respiratory virus in the past week. It is kicking their little behinds. I made the soup twice this week! I think the first to get sick may be on the mend given his complaining tonight at dinner, "All we have eaten this week is soup, soup, soup."



Here is the original recipe with a few of my additions:

2 Tablespoons of olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/2-3/4  teaspoon of pureed ginger (or you can grate some fresh ginger which would be even better!)
2 carrots, diced
2 stalks of celery, diced
1/2 large red pepper, finely chopped
8 cups chicken broth
2 cups bow tie pasta
2 cups chicken, cooked and diced or shredded
2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tsp. lemon zest
4 cups of fresh baby spinach

Sautee onion in olive oil for about 4 minutes. Add garlic and ginger and sautee for an additional minute. Add carrots, celery, and red pepper. Sautee vegetables until crisp-tender.  Add chicken broth and bring to boil. Turn heat down and simmer for about 20 minutes with lid on top. Add bow tie pasta, chicken, fresh lemon juice, lemon zest, and spinach.  Allow to simmer until noodles are al dente and spinach is bright green.  Salt and pepper to taste.


2 comments:

Cheryl said...

Bri, we needed a good soup recipe this past week as we, too, had the "family" sickness. Our children were getting tired of the Ehst classic "chicken barley soup". Hubby declares 2014 has definitely been a very bad year, he can't wait for 2015. LOLs Monday began the first one puking, following 4 days of more of the same, adding the diahrea with it....sorry for the gory details... Friday morning, Leil and I left for a planned 4 day getaway planned, what do we do with the sick children- we were encouraged to just go, and while we were sitting stranded in the airport for 5 hrs waiting for the weather to clear our plane, received the text that one of the previous sick had AGAIN puked all over the floor- GOD WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO SAY??? SHall we just cancel our plans and go home.... our prayers were answered and everyone has recovered and we have enjoyed a refreshing wknd together doing not much of anything but sharing quality time with each other- tomorrow we return to our cherubs, and the GRIND.... hopefully healthier and happier and REFRESHED to begin anew....

Briana Almengor said...

Oh Cheryl, I'm so sorry you're family was so sick. We have been in that situation more times than I can count. When our kids were younger, LA and I would make a point of trying to get away once or twice a year, most of the time for just an overnight. And, it seemed like every single trip was prefaced the same way yours was. And, I faced the same "What are you trying to say, Lord?" dilema. I have to say that everytime but one (and it was Garrett's wedding that one time, believe it or not!) we did go away, and all ended up being fine with the kids and those sitting for us.

I'm glad I could provide a new soup recipe. That comes via my mom who I believe got it from Jen Clemmer. I made it twice last week when my gang was all fighting a virus and just finished the last bowl this afternoon for lunch.