Tuesday, May 29, 2012

A Memorable Memorial Day Weekend

Like many Americans this weekend, my little family hit the road to visit with extended family in Pennsylvania. Between Lawrence's busy season and the high price of gas, it had been since Christmas since we had seen some of my family. Even though a jam-packed full weekend of events, we thoroughly relished being together again, enjoying a respite from our realities, some of which are speckled with trial or challenges. It was a gift from the Giver we all happily received.
These are my absolute favorite kids in the world (minus 4 more nephews under age 2 if you can believe it!)

Within 10 minutes of where my brother and sister-in-law live and only a half hour from my parents is a National  Guard training site, Fort Indiantown Gap, along with a national cemetery, the Indiantown Gap National Cemetery. Having never visited these sites before, I thought it was appropriate to take a drive through before heading to my parents for our Memorial Day picnic.

The drive through the cemetery was sobering to say the least. My husband and I both gained some needed perspective on trying circumstances we're walking through currently by somberly viewing thousands of graves and hundreds of families visiting them that day.

Here are some photos from our visit:
(to see the photos more clearly, click on the image)

It was a Memorial Day I won't too soon forget, one in which I really remembered that freedom isn't free. "Thank you" doesn't seem sufficient, but I and my family do thank all who have and do commit to put the "mission first", "never accept defeat", "never quit", and "never leave a fallen comrade."

No comments: