Saturday, April 07, 2012

Resurrection Cake


Inspired by Jessica Fisher at Life is Mom, I decided to try my hand at a Resurrection cake for our Easter celebration tomorrow. Here’s how I constructed mine.

I made my favorite chocolate cake which just happens to be a vegan cake, believe it or not. It truly is the most, moist chocolate cake I’ve tasted (other than Cracker Barrel’s coca-cola cake, which probably has a whole lot more calories).

Here’s the recipe in case you’re interested:

3 c. flour (I use a white whole wheat)
2 c. sugar
1/3 c. cocoa
2 tsp.baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp.instant decaf coffee grounds (*optional)
2 c.water
¾ c. oil (I used 3/8 c. coconut oil, melted and 3/8 c. canola oil)
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp. apple cider vinegar

Mix all dry ingredients together and then wet ones into the dry. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
**For this cake, I baked about 2/3rd of the batter in an 8X8 pan and 1/3rd in my Pampered Chef batter bowl (to make the mound on top of the square cake.)

Once cakes are cool, turn the square cake out onto your display platter.

Turn the cake in the batter bowl and trim the top so that it is flat. Place that on top of the corner of the square cake and ice with icing or your choice. (I used our favorite—peanut butter icing.)

For decoration, I used the following:

  • an oatmeal raisin cookie for its texture to illustrate the stone that was rolled away
  • chocolate “stones” I found at Wegmans. I was thrilled; I think they are the coolest.
  • I believe it is a Caspian figurine from the Narnia series for Peter peering into the tomb.
  • Lollipop stick cut in half with a banner wrapped around it declaring, “He is Risen"
I had a lot of fun making it; I think the kids are going to have a lot of fun eating it!

No comments: