Tuesday, January 31, 2012

January's end

Gotta say I'm glad to see the end of January. As I texted to a friend today, I'm not writing off 2012 yet, but January hasn't been such a great start. With that in mind, however, I want to purpose to review the last 31 days with the truth that God is always working ALL things together for my good. I really do believe that even when I'm disobediently grumbling about how He's doing that. So, the following is not a list of the good and bad. It's a list of all the ways God is somehow working ALL things together for my good. It's all grace, as one of my favorite authors, Ann Voskamp, says.

  • 8 doctor's appointments & 2 trips to the lab for bloodwork, one for me and one for Judah
  • MY AMAZING FRIENDS AND FAMILY who watched my kids making these trips to the doctor a wee bit easier. That would include in no particular order Heather Griger, Danielle Jones, Kathleen Zylka, Alana Lenhart, Jo Powell and my mother in law, Olivia Almengor. Thanks, wonderful women!
  • a trip to New Jersey to visit and see the new life God's created for dear friends of ours. This was probably the highlight of my month. Thank you, again, to the Powells and Lyttles for keeping our kids. We do have amazing friends!
  • learning so much about the beneficial uses of coconut oil and finding it online for some really great prices.
  • finding a new doctor who lines up with me philosophically more than any doctor I've ever had.
  • having dinner with friends, which they made and hosted, after a long day of doctors' visits.
  • challenging and encouraging messages from our new Senior Pastor, Jimmy Cannon, on Nehemiah.
  • friends walking through some pretty rough stuff but letting me be apart of it through prayer.
  • encouraging homeschool talk with a mentor of mine (whether she's aware of it or not, Donna Hepler). :)
  • keeping routines in place like pizza/family night and date night before caregroup even amidst the beginnings of LA's 8th busy season at work!
  • staying within our food/grocery and entertainment budgets given our commitment to "no extra spending" this month.
  • celebrating Judah's bravery with donuts from one of our favorite places, Dunkin Donuts. Along with America, the Almengor's run on Dunkins. :)
  • the privilege of being able to babysit for friends and be on the giving end of serving for a change. :)
  • my caregroup, the individuals and families of which are all going through their own "ringers" yet seeking nonetheless to honor God, to persevere, to pray and care for others. I am so blessed to be in community with you all.
  • LA getting some hang time in with a good friend. I'm grateful for any time he gets to fellowship with other men.
  • LA and I both making goals for January regarding food, weight and health and sticking to them. By God's grace, we both did well with this first 30 day challenge.
  • Increased prayer life for LA. We feel so desperate and out of that desperation has birthed a new passion for prayer. I am so grateful to be praying more with him and see him initiating prayer more with me and the kids.
  • missed phone dates with a long time friend because of my hoarse voice that continues and sheer exhaustion. I'll get to that email eventually, Beth. :)
  • a "cold"? or cough that won't quit for Bella...perplexing for sure. Doesn't go away but doesn't get worse. No fever. ???
  • Similarly, hoarseness for me that doesn't go away, doesn't get worse. ???
  • a chronic pain issue that was under control, now back
  • people's stares at my son that grow wearisome
  • Bella learning how to sound out her color words
  • enjoying good fellowship, a home cooked meal, a hearty laugh, and comfort for my soul via the Lewis' sisters at our caregroup leaders' dinner
  • my mother in law who always helps me clean up after our family dinners together. She and my father in law, along with my own parents, consistently challenge me with their example of servanthood.
  • a dark night of the soul that came upon me seemingly out of the blue but left quickly, too.
  • a flood of scripture for my sleep and upon rising the next morning, His new mercies to greet me
  • unexpected stream of facebook comments to encourage my soul when stuck in the pity pond
  • a new, good source for beef. Looking forward to stocking my freezer again
  • farmers who are fighting Monsanto and work so hard to provide good food for us to eat
  • a friend's suggestion for good reads."Faithful Women and Their Extraordinary God" and "Prodigal God", both turning out to feed my soul and fuel my love for Jesus
  • tearful pouring out of concerns with dear friends of ours who understand and agree but point us to Jesus and the overwhelming power of the Gospel to unite
  • sleepy sundays from a combination of new medicines and long weeks
  • physical weakness like I haven't known in a long time
  • a chiropractor who God is using to keep the pain at bay
  • strife and ongoing tensions in marriage that keep us crying out to the Lord and to each other. This must get better; we are not satisfied and know neither is God. We persevere though it's hard.
  • children who are home with me all day

No comments: