Friday, March 03, 2006

Glasses? Yes

Thanks to all of you who prayed for Judah's eye appointment. My most gnawing anxiety prior to the appointment was not as much that he might need glasses as it was he wouldn't cooperate for the exam.

We arrived early to our appointment, which rarely if ever happens, and Judah was a champ, having to wait a half hour in the waiting room to be seen. He sat up in his own chair, read a book and played with his cars. If I was an onlooker, I might have thought, "wow, what a good mom she must be." But, as the mom I know the truth is, "what a good boy I have". Actually, there are plenty of times when he doesn't behave so well, so really the truth is that God was just kind to both of us this morning.

When we were finally seen, Judah sat rather timidly on my lap as the Dr's assistant, Jana, evaluated how well he tracked with each individual eye. He never really likes this part, but I could tell there was a little more than the usual apprehension in him today. Lawrence and I think he was trying to figure out if this was another laser treatment. He just had a laser treatment two weeks ago, and it was a rather traumatic visit.

Things were going fine until Jana accidentally shocked him with her finger, which I'm guessing is all it took to confirm in Judah's mind that, yes, this was a laser treatment. It was like a dam had opened its gates, as Judah just started to wail. Needless to say, the first half of the exam came to a screeching halt.

Judah calmed down in time for Dr's Abrams to come into examine him. She brought her big case full of lenses, opened it up, and after ritualistically giving Judah his own lens to play with, began to hold the lenses up to his eye, one at a time, to determine a prescription for him. This is the part that Judah needs to hold still.

An odd combination of listening to our wonderful and very child-oriented doctor sing "Old McDonald" and watching "Finding Nemo" on the little TV screen they have in the office kept Judah perfectly still long enough for Dr. Abrams to get a prescription for his eyes. She did determine that Judah would benefit from glasses.

So, the hunt begins for a pair of specs. for my little man. And then, the real challenges: having Judah keep them on his face and keeping Tucker from ripping them off Judah's face. If my hubby agrees, I'll see if I can post a picture of Judah in his glasses once we have them.

Thanks for praying. Judah did sit still, and even though he does need glasses, I'm so grateful for the kindness of God that we live in a time and are among those privileged to afford such things beneficial to our overall health. Judah really is a blessed little man, and his family is equally blessed, too!

No comments: