Monday, April 17, 2006

Why? or Who?

Several weeks after returning home from the hospital with Judah and Tucker and in the midst of processing through the ramifications of Judah's diagnosis of Sturge-Weber Syndrome, my husband directed me to an article in The Journal of Biblical Counseling, put out by the Christian Counseling & Educational Foundation, entitled, "God at Work in a 'Special Needs' Family" by Miltinnie Yih. I read this article over several times and found great hope and even vision for the lot God had assigned to us. Here is a portion with some length that I found especially challenging but deeply encouraging as well:

As I wrestled with the "Why's" of David's autism, it dawned on me that this was the wrong line of thinking. Why do I want God to tell me why? Would reasons really satisfy me or would they simply put me in a position to judge God instead? Could I really understand the workings of God? Though Job asked, "Why?" God only answered by asking, "Who?"

Who is this that darkens counsel by words without knowledge? Now gird up your loins like a man, and I will ask you, and you instruct Me! Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth! Tell Me, if you have understanding, who set its measurements, since you know? Or who stretched the line on it? On what were its bases sunk? Or who laid its cornerstone, when the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy? (Job 38:2-7)

While on earth, we may not know the "Why" for difficult situations. But we can know the "Who" of it. Who is in charge? God is in charge! "I know whom I have believed and I am convinced that He is able to guard what I've entrusted unto Him against that day" (II Tim. 1:12). Asking "Why?" will not give us the right perspective, only asking "Who?" will.

I want to continue the rest of this portion from the article tomorrow.
I am dedicating these posts on "Getting through Grief" to Alivia Haughery and all her family, who are walking through an unimaginably difficult time as they wait for over a week now for a clear diagnosis for their 1 year old daughter. Please continue to pray for Alivia and her family. You can check out the blog Alivia's mom keeps for her by simply clicking on her name highlighted above.

No comments: