Thursday, August 16, 2007

Use For Garden Tomatoes

I haven't written in a bit but not for a lack of things to write about as much as a lack of time to do so. Lawrence just finished up two weeks on the road except for a much too short "visit" home this past weekend which we were all grateful for. He's home now, and life feels right again. In his absence, we kept quite busy. Made a trip to PA to spend a few days at grandma and grandpa's house. Thanks Mom and Dad. The boys had a blast swimming in the pool with you, going to Knoebels Grove (the most wonderful family park around!), and watching much more TV than they usually get to watch here at home. On Demand Kids' Channels are amazing!!

In addition to our trip to grandma's, Bella had her 6 month checkup which, apart from having to keep the boys from climbing the walls, went rather well. She appears to be growing just as she should and, though she cried like any normal baby would when receiving shots, did rather well.

Again, Judah proved to be the bravest little boy around at the eye doctor last week. In addition to cooperating well with the parts of the exam he knows well, he also allowed Dr. Abrams to check his pressures which is typically done with him under anesthesia as it involves eye drops and allowing the doctor to basically poke on his eyeball with something called a "tonopen". He was hesitant, but mustered up the courage to sit still for this. And, his pressures were the lowest they've ever been in his life, a definite sign that the surgical interventions he's had are working and were worth it. We are definitely giving thanks for this.

And, finally I come to the reason for this post's title: "Use for Garden Tomatoes".
My mom gave me some fresh tomatoes from her garden which I used in a great, easy recipe tonight out of my Real Simple magazine. The recipe is for something they call, "Pasta with marinated tomatoes and mozzarella". (I have to laugh at their recipe titles as they are basically just a list of all the ingredients) :)

Here it is with my improvisations:

1 1/2 pounds tomatoes, diced
1/2 small sweet onion, roughly chopped
2 T. olive oil
8 oz. fresh mozzarella, cubed
1 pound fettuccine (used spaghetti but it would probably be better with thicker noodles)
1/2 cup fresh basil, torn

In a large bowl, gently combine the tomatoes, onion, oil, mozzarella, 1 1/2 tsp. salt, and 3/4 tsp. pepper. Set aside and let marinate at room temperature for at least 10 minutes. Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to package directions. Add the drained pasta and basil to marinated tomatoes and toss to combine. Divide among individual bowls.

**I added some shredded chicken breast to it that was first boiled and then heated up with an oil/butter combination to add a bit more protein to the meal.

For me, it had all the components of a great summer dish: fast, easy, oven-free, healthy, use of fresh ingredients and tasty!! Really, it doesn't get any better than that!

3 comments:

FishMama said...

So glad you survived the last weeks!

The recipe sounds yummy! I make something similar with Brie (rind removed and cubed) instead of mozzarella. It also includes sundried tomatoes.

I know what I want for dinner!

Anonymous said...

I'd been praying for you guys, knowing Lawrence was gone.

This recipe sounds good. I love anything with Basil, tomatoes, and mozzarella! I posted a recipe for stuffed tomatoes a while back, which was quite tasty and easy, just in case you need more inspiration to finish up those summer tomatoes!

Zoanna said...

Glad you're back. Missed you in blogland. I have the utmost respect for Judah. i can't stand to have anything close to my eye, let alone touch it. Wow.

I laugh at the recipe titles, too. They take about as long to type as the meal takes to make. But I do appreciate that they ARE "real simple."