I wanted to provide a little update on Bella. Her breathing continues to be faster than is normal, but she seems to be fine with that. She sleeps well, eats well, poops, etc...all the things a newborn is supposed to do. And, she's so stinkin' beautiful while doing it all, except maybe the pooping part. :)
Our pediatrician called today after consulting with the pulminologist who wants Bella to have a Barrium (sp?) swallow. The boys both had this test done, and it is not fun at all. There is a pediatric radiologist in Harford County who hopefully is comfortable and experienced doing this test on such a little baby. If not, we'll have to go to the city, to the Univ. of MD hospital in order to have it done. This test, apparently will show things that the other tests Bella's had done did not show. What they're looking for exactly, I don't know. But, the pulminologist expressed to our pediatrician that she doesn't want to put Bella through anything more invasive than necessary. Since we've dealt with this specialist before, I feel pretty comfortable with her recommendations even though it is exhausting me mentally just thinking about all the dr.'s appointments coming up.
Today, I had to take Bella for her hearing assessment since it wasn't given to her while she was in the hospital. We ended up waiting for 45 minutes only to be seen and told after another 40 minutes that the testing instruments they had in their office were not going to work on Bella. The first testing instrument the Dr. used requires the baby to be quiet. When you meet Bella, you will realize it's impossible for her to be quiet as her tracheomalacia causes her to have rather noisy breathing. The second instrument the Dr. tried to use on Bella was picking up to much 'static' (my own word, not the technical word) to get a reading. The one instrument that may work for Bella was not in the office today. So, we were given the choice to come back another day when that would be available. I am not terribly thrilled about having to make another appointment, and may try to find a way to put this assessment off as long as I can.
We are not scheduled for another dr's appointment this week, but may end up having to squeeze one in if the Barrium swallow is something that needs to be done promptly. Bella continues to take her Zantac well, and I give thanks each time remembering how awful it was with the boys.
I am still trying to recover from delivery, but feel better with each day as long as I pace myself and try not to do too much. With that, I'm heading off to bed.