Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Excellent and Easy

I tried a new recipe from Real Simple, and loved it. It was really simple to make, no oven required and tasted great! I will say the original recipe is not the healthiest, but there are ways to make it healthier. So, here it is along with my healthier substitutions.

Tortellini with bacon, greens, and brown butter (don't ya think this needs a different name?!)
1 pound cheese or meat tortellini (I use cheese)
4 ounces sliced bacon (I used turkey bacon)
6 T. unsalted butter (I used only 4 and will try Smart Balance or Olive Oil next time I make it)
2 cups arugula, about 1 bunch (I used fresh baby spinach)
1/4 t. kosher salt (I didn't use any)
1/4 t. black pepper (I didn't use any)

Cook the tortellini according to package directions. Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp, 7 to 9 minutes. Reserve bacon and discard the drippings. Wipe out skillet and return to medium heat. Add the butter and brown. Remove from heat. Break bacon into small pieces and add to skillet with the arugula (spinach), salt, pepper and cooked tortellini. Toss well and divide among individual bowls. Serves 4.

I will try to post some of my other summer recipes sometime this week.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds yummy Bri,
I have been watching your blog, got here from Emily's. It is so cool to see what a wonderful momma you have become. I have to chuckle when I remember the sweet young woman with a fat baby on her hip and a girl stuck in a tree. Congrats on your new baby girl and the rest of your wonderful family. We still miss you here in Indiana but I am SO excited when I hear how God has blessed you in the East! You have become a shining woman of God, very Proverbs 31.
love always,
Sandy Kimmel