Tuesday, May 29, 2007

The Latest and Greatest

There seems to be a million things my boys do or say in one day that make me laugh. I can never remember all of them nor relay them in a way that is quite as funny as when it took place. But, as much as I can, I want to remember some of their antics.

This weekend, we were able to spend time up in PA at my parent's house. It was wonderful to be with them again, some of my sibs seeing Bella for the first time since she was born. The boys haven't slept in pack-n-plays for several months, and I have dragged my feet on transitioning them to big boy beds. Yes, they'll soon be 3 and still in cribs. I'm ambitious with so many things, but when it comes to these motherhood/child milestones, I tend to crawl under a rock and hope I don't ever have to face reality. :)

My first mistake was thinking the boys would sleep only an hour or so after we arrived to grandma's. I should have known that first day would be a wash with how excited they were to be there. Nevertheless, I thought I'd try to put them down for a nap. All my kiddos were down for their nap, so I decided to take a walk with my mom. We were gone for maybe a half hour to 45 minutes. When I came back, Lawrence said the boys were up and had already received some discipline for jumping into each other's pack-n-play, throwing trucks at each other and biting each other! Lawrence asked if he could go out with my dad now that I was back, and I thought, "Well the boys have had several spankings from their papi, I'm sure they'll go to sleep at this point." So, I confidently sent my husband off to enjoy an outing with my dad.

The boys did not go to sleep, but they were being quiet. I walked past their bedroom at one point and heard them talking to each other. I vacillated whether to spank them again for talking (they're not allowed to during naptime at home) or to just be happy they weren't killing each other and let them talk. I decided to let them talk, but then stopped to listen for just a second to hear what they were saying. Tucker: "Judah, you want paper? I'll give you some paper. Here..." I thought, "Ah, how cute. They're playing office."

And, then the more experienced mom part of my brain decided to wake up and told me that I had better take a peek to see if somehow they had gotten into any of my dad's work supplies because they were set up in his office. I opened the door and saw that Tucker had climbed into Judah's pack-n-play AGAIN and somehow managed to open one of my dad's office drawers. Paper clips were everywhere. The stapler was out, my dad's compass, pens, pencils, etc. I turned right around and walked out to laugh. I couldn't keep myself composed. I also invited my mom to witness their little role playing scene and then went back in to verbally correct them. We got it all cleaned up and gave up on the nap. Later on during dinner, I had them apologize to grandpa for getting into his things.

I know this is just a foreshadowing of things to come. Any other moms of multiple kiddos have funny, frightening stories?!

4 comments:

Zoanna said...

Did you get a picture? I'm so glad you decided to let them talk and be happy at grandma and grandpa's house. It's not like they are there every week and need tight rules. You made a great choice, IMHO. Sometimes it's just good to relax and laugh.

Zoanna said...

Ummm, wait till they discover their anatomical maleness. That's frightening. Check out my latest post on my Kidbits blog to see what I'm talking about.

Jessi said...

Glad you guys had a good time at Knoebels! We should do something like that with both the Clemmer families sometime...

Anonymous said...

did you mean to say "yes, they are 11 years old and still in cribs..."? uh huh... (d'oh!!! forgot i made that john wesley deal! sshhhh!!)